Showing all 4 results
GS NEW YORK Alto Saxophone Mouthpiece – The best Meyer$ 199
GS NEW YORK Alto Saxophone Mouthpiece Meyer Bros NY Replica
See the long description below for all the details.
A great New York Meyer alto mouthpiece just sparkles. The response is clean, warm, and effortlessly free blowing, but centered and with an elusive extra magic to it – even compared to any other version of Meyer.
The GS NEW YORK is an extremely precise copy of what I think is the best Meyer Bros NY I’ve played. I’ve been collecting NY Meyer alto pieces since I started GetASax, and I just LOVE this particular one.
I loved it so much, that I spent about a year figuring out how to make an extremely precise copy of it that played with the same magic in each tip opening.
The GS New York delivers on that goal! People just love to play this mouthpiece. The reviews and emails I receive have been so encouraging to keep this going long-term.
How does it play? It’s slightly brighter than some NY Meyers, and a little warmer than a NYUSA. Compared to a typical modern Meyer the GS NY will be much more free blowing, less resistant, and will have better projection and sparkle. You can get a Cannonball / Phil Woods vibe going with less effort than on a typical modern Meyer for sure.
You won’t pick a bad tip opening. They’re all great. People buy the 5 (.072″) , 6 (.076″), and 7 (.080″) tips about equally, I would say.
Each GS New York is carefully hand faced, including flattening the table, and measuring the facing curve at ten points plus the tip, so you can be sure that the one you get will be just as good as the one that I play personally. If i make a mistake in facing, that mouthpiece does not go out the door.
I’ve been about a week behind on hand facing lately, because of high demand. But I’ll ship your mouthpiece quickly to make up for that. At $199 including complete hand facing, for a really good copy of a really good NY Meyer, it’s pretty hard to beat.
GS RESO C Melody Saxophone Mouthpiece – Best Ever!$ 199
GS RESO C MELODY: The best C Melody Mouthpiece Ever
If you read around on GetASax, you’ll see that I like to avoid superlatives unless they are really deserved. Not every saxophone is a monster, or a beast or exceptional. That way, when something really is great, I can say so, and maybe you’ll believe me:-) So I mean it when I say this is the best C melody mouthpiece ever. It’s just great. If you want to play C melody with any kind of frequency, it’s worth getting one, because it makes it so much more fun. This is basically a vintage Otto Link RESO Chamber tenor mouthpiece that has been carefully modified to tune correctly on C melody saxophones. It uses a tenor reed, which warms up the tone of the C melody and makes the most sense to me, since C is only a step above Bb tenor. See long desceription below for all the details and check the GetASax Youtube Channel for lots of videos.
- All GS Mouthpieces are completely hand faced (table also flattened) and the facing checked at 10 points plus the tip. I only sell ones that have a correct facing, so there are no ‘bad ones,’ once you find the right tip opening for you.
- I haven’t played another C Melody mouthpiece that was nearly as good as this. It makes the C Melody lose most of its nasal character and warm up and open up like a tenor.
- It’s so good that it literally puts the C melody saxophone back into play as a usable modern instrument. That’s no overstatement.
- The GS RESO C Melody uses tenor reeds and requires a tenor size neck cork.
- The GS RESO C Melody mouthpiece is an extremely precise copy of my original facing Otto Link Reso Chamber tenor mouthpiece, which has been digitally ‘opened up’ (wider tip opening, baffle moved and slightly modified) to each appropriate Otto Link tip opening. They get slightly brighter at larger tips, just like a Link, and the mouthpiece gets shorter a little (also just like a Link being faced on a machine at the factory).
- The C Melody version has had the chamber volume reduced so that it tunes perfectly on C melody. That’s not to say that it is then perfectly easy to play a vintage C melody sax in perfect tune! That requires a lot of practice, but the mouthpiece will set you up for success.
- The facings are either Link facings I copied from favorite mouthpieces in my collection, or facings I think are better than whatever my favorite Link facing is. You won’t pick a bad facing. The 5 is very free blowing and takes air surprisingly well. It would be hard to beat if you want a top quality smaller tip C Melody mouthpiece.
3 years in, I can say that people have been REALLY happy with their GS RESO C melody mouthpieces. I have hundreds of enthusiastic emails from buyers who agree. It’s a fantastic mouthpiece at any price, and under $200 hand faced, it’s pretty hard to beat.
Update: Due to strong demand, I’m about a week behind on hand facing these mouthpieces for sale. However, regardless of which shipping option you pick, I’ll upgrade you to faster shipping if I can. So even though it’ll take me a week to make your mouthpiece, you’ll still receive it surprisingly quickly.
GS SLANT Tenor Saxophone Mouthpiece – Classic, Balanced, Beautiful$ 199
GS SLANT Otto Link Florida Slant Signature Tone Edge Replica Tenor Saxophone Mouthpiece
**Update: Due to strong demand, I’m about a week behind on hand facing these mouthpieces for sale. However, regardless of which shipping option you pick, I’ll upgrade you to express 2 day shipping – or FedEx International Priority shipping if you’re overseas if at all possible (sorry New Zealand, you get USPS). So even though it’ll take me a week to make your mouthpiece, you’ll still receive it surprisingly quickly, especially internationally.
GS SLANT is an extremely precise copy of my BEST vintage Otto Link Slant Tenor mouthpiece. More precisely, it’s a copy of an original facing 7* Florida Slant Signature Otto Link Tone Edge tenor mouthpiece in perfect original condition.
This is the version of the ‘Slant’ that nearly everybody wants. It’s the most iconic and desirable hard rubber tenor mouthpiece ever made. When I hear people describing their ideal tenor tone online, it’s most frequently a description of what a good vintage Otto Link Slant sounds like: Dark and powerful, with a good amount of focus and projection. Brightens up and projects when pushed, but never thins out. Super even across all registers. Tunes great on almost any saxophone vintage or modern. That’s what the GS SLANT gives you, for only 15% the cost of an original vintage Otto Link Slant Tone Edge tenor saxophone mouthpiece.
Compared to the GS RESO, the GS SLANT is a little brighter and punchier (but not bright), and more focused (though still warm and full). It has an instantly recognizable 50’s-60’s jazz tenor tone. We’ll post hi-fi sound samples of the GS SLANT on a variety of brands of saxophone very soon! See below for the GS SLANT vs Vintage Slant A/B video.
If you’re a pro looking for the best do-it-all jazz tenor mouthpiece for an affordable price, I think you’d be hard pressed to beat the GS SLANT. It really captures the magic of the original mouthpiece, and that is saying a lot. It’s the only Slant copy I’ve seen that exactly copies a vintage Slant. Even upgrading to a vintage Link Slant at 8x the price wouldn’t actually sound better! And if you’re an amateur or younger player looking for your first good mouthpiece, this gives you the chance to jump right to an excellent mouthpiece that is completely hand faced, without messing with a bunch of machine faced intermediate mouthpieces.
To read all about GetASax.com’s very own mouthpiece project, visit: GS Mouthpieces (main page) The big idea here is to let you experience the magic of the best mouthpieces I have ever played, for a price that makes them widely accessible for the first time.